F-1 Student Services

The Office of Global Engagement provides a variety of support services and guidance for international students with F-1 status.

Applying for a Social Security Number

You can apply for a social security number in person at the Office of Social Security Administration. You must be an active F-1 student (registered full-time with an active record on SEVIS). The following documents are required for the social security application:

  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Passport with I-94 and visa
  • On-campus or other work agreement
  • Letter of verification of status from your International Student Advisor (please notify International Student Advising Office 24 hours in advance to issue this letter)

If you changed status to F-1, allow 14 days from the date of the I-797 Approval Notice before applying for a social security number. If you just recently entered the United States, make sure that your SEVIS record is active before applying for a social security number. Contact the Office of Global Engagement to request preparation of proof of your full-time registration.

Obtaining a Driver’s License

You can obtain a New Hampshire driver’s license at the Division of Motor Vehicles at 10 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH. The following documents are required:

  • Letter from the International Student Advisor verifying F-1 full-time status
  • A copy of SEVIS Form I-20
  • Passport (with the visa page and I-94)
  • International Driver’s license from home country
  • Letter that certifies a good standing driving history from home country

Filing Income Taxes

All F-1 students must comply with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requirements by April 15 of every year. F-1 students must file Form 8843 even if they did not work during the year. If a student has been employed, the student will receive a W-2 form from an employer by January 30. This form must be filed with the appropriate income tax form, usually the 1040NREZ. Forms and IRS Publication 901 are available from the IRS.

Scholarships and Loans

The following agencies offer scholarships and loans to international students.

Transferring Funds

Contact the Office of Financial Aid at (603) 897-8488 to transfer funds from your home country.

Medical Leave

To apply for a medical leave of absence, you must bring an original letter from a qualified medical physician certifying your medical condition as well as any other related documentation. Your advisor will review all information and determine if a medical leave of absence if the appropriate course of action.


Office of Global Engagement