Before You Arrive

The Rivier community looks forward to welcoming you to New Hampshire and to our campus in Nashua! We've compiled some information and resources to assist as you prepare to travel to the United States.

Entering the United States for the First Time

You should have the following documents with you as you travel to the United States:

  • Passport – valid for at least 6 months with visa SEVIS I-20
  • I-901 SEVIS fee receipt
  • Evidence of financial resources
  • Rivier University acceptance letter and evidence of student status
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Name and contact information for your designated school official, including a 24-hour emergency contact number at the school.

For F-1 students who are first-time travelers to the United States, remember that there is a possibility of refusal at the port of entry if you arrive to the United States more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20 form.

The United States Department of State offers comprehensive information on procedures for traveling and arriving in the United States. As a non-immigrant visitor holding a visa, you may be asked to participate in the US-VISIT program, a comprehensive registration system tracking entries to and exits from the United States. For more information, visit the Department of Homeland Security.

Traveling to Nashua, NH

You can reach Nashua from major cities by bus, train or plane. You can arrange an airport pick up directly or email for assistance at least two weeks before your arrival in the United States. Airport transportation costs between $75-120, depending on the number of passengers you are traveling with. Check out: Flightline | Uber | Lyft


It is important that you plan your housing prior to your arrival. Temporary housing is available at area hotels including the Holiday Inn and the Radisson Hotel. Discounted rates of $89 at the Holiday Inn and $79 at the Radisson Hotel (daily rate, tax excluded) are available for Rivier students. Ask for the Rivier discounted rate when making your reservation.

There are a variety of off-campus housing options throughout Greater Nashua. Please feel free to inquire and apply online. To secure a lease, you may need a co-signer who already resides in the United States. The following off-campus housing resources provided are not affiliated with the University. It is your responsibility to be mindful of the terms and agreement of your lease before signing.

Check-In and Orientation

Federal immigration regulations require that Rivier maintain an accurate record of all students’ F-1 status. All new F-1 students must meet two requirements upon arrival to the U.S:

  • Check-in. Upon arrival to our campus, check-in with the Office of Global Engagement. Please have your SEVIS I-20, I-94, and passport.
  • Orientation. All international students must attend a mandatory orientation session. The Office of Global Engagement will communicate the International Student Orientation schedule to all accepted students who have secured F-1 visas.

Fees and Schedule

Fees are due a week before the beginning of each semester/term. To avoid late fees, please plan to arrange funds for easy access before departure. For more information on tuition and fees and acceptable payments, contact the Office of Global Engagement.

Health Insurance

Your health and safety is a top priority. All international students are required to obtain health insurance. You must show proof of health insurance when you check-in upon arrival. Approach your International Student Advisor about health insurance providers.

Before leaving your country, it is recommended to have the following vaccinations: meningitis vaccine, measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine—series of two Hepatitis B, and tuberculosis screening. It is also advisable to meet with your doctor and have complete medical, vision, and dental examination.

SEVIS Transfer

Students transferring from another educational institution in the United States must obtain SEVIS I-20 from Rivier University.

Let Us Be Your Guide

Our pre-arrival guide for international students will answer your questions and help you plan your travel to the United States and our campus.


Office of Global Engagement