Grants and Federal Work-Study

Federal and state grants are sources of financial aid that do not require repayment. Based on your FAFSA results, you may also be eligible for student work-study, which is funded by the federal government.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded, need-based grant that does not have to be repaid. Eligibility is determined by the federal government, and the fund is offered to qualified undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this grant, and they must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA to continue receiving this grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is a federally funded, need-based grant that does not have to be repaid. Federal funding for the SEOG is limited. These awards are offered only to students who are Pell Grant-eligible. The standard award is $500 for a full-time student and $250 for a half-time student, if funds are available. Students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA to continue receiving this grant.

State Grants

State grants are state-funded awards issued by the state in which the student permanently resides. An estimate of the grant may appear on the student’s award letter. Rivier University will be notified by the state agency of actual award amounts. Adjustments to the student’s grant funding may be necessary if estimated and actual awards differ.


The TEACH Grant program will provide up to $4,000 a year in grant aid to undergraduate and graduate students. Students must file a FAFSA to be considered. Eligible undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students may not receive more than $16,000, and graduate students may receive no more than $8,000 in total TEACH Grants. In exchange for TEACH Grant aid, students must agree to serve as a full-time teacher at specified schools and teach in a specified field for four academic years within eight years after completing the college course. TEACH Grant recipients that do not fulfill their teaching obligations must repay the grant as if it was an unsubsidized Direct Loan with interest accruing from the first disbursement of the TEACH Grant. Students must maintain a 3.25 cumulative GPA to continue receiving this grant. View more information on TEACH Grants.

Student Employment

If you are interested in applying for student employment, check out Handshake for available job listings and follow these steps:

  1. Log-in to your Handshake account.
  2. Search “Rivier University – Work Study and On Campus Internships” on the Employers tab.
  3. Review on-campus positions and apply directly through Handshake.

If you have questions about creating your Handshake account, email the Office of Career and Life Success. If you have questions about submitting your required employment paperwork, status of applications, new opportunities, or payroll, email Human Resources.


Office of Financial Aid