Our Undergraduate programs prepare students for a rewarding career in the nursing field through a focus on experiential learning and extensive hands-on clinical experience.
Department of Nursing and Health Professions
Rivier's Department of Nursing and Health Professions prepares students to become licensed registered nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse educators, and nurse leaders throughout the United States.
For more than 30 years, Rivier University’s Department of Nursing and Health Professions has prepared students to meet the rapidly changing demands of the healthcare environment. Rivier continually builds on its strengths, offering programs that provide students with individual attention, quality education, and numerous opportunities for practical experience.
Earn Your Degree—from ASN to Doctoral
Rivier offers nursing degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels. Students develop the skills and work ethic that prepare them to excel in today’s rapidly changing healthcare environment.
Graduates of our nursing programs are prepared for professional practice ensuring they are able to provide safe, high quality, and equitable health care for all people.
A recognized leader in nursing education, Rivier graduates the largest number of nurses throughout the state of New Hampshire. Known for exceptional faculty and hands-on clinical experiences, Rivier nursing programs prepare you for a career in nursing and healthcare. Watch the video to learn more!
Exceptional Pass Rates
- Graduates of Rivier’s BSN program who sat for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in 2020 had a pass rate of 95% for first-time test takers. The national BSN average pass rate was 86.57%, putting Rivier students well above graduates of other colleges and other universities.
- The first-time pass rate for ASN students was 87.5%, above the national ASN average of 86.57%.
- As reported by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), graduates of Rivier’s MSN program who completed the certification exam for Family Nurse Practitioner in 2020 had a first-time pass rate of 91%, exceeding the 85% national average pass rate.
- Those graduates of Rivier’s MSN program who completed the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification exam for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in 2017, 2018, and 2019 had an overall first-time pass rate of 87.05%, exceeding the 84.28% national average pass rate.
A Focus on Experiential Learning
Rivier’s nursing programs enhance student preparedness through a focus on hands-on learning. While all clinical nursing courses include simulation, students also have the opportunity to participate in supervised clinical experiences.
The hallmark of all of the University’s nursing programs is the faculty-supervised clinical experience in hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout the greater Boston and central New England regions. These experiences combine instructor directed and independent learning to develop procedural skills and enhance the clinical decision making process throughout the students’ academic endeavors.
Simulation is an educational strategy that re-creates real life situations and allows the participant to develop or enhance knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will prepare the student to deal with actual patient issues.
The simulation experience provides students with a safe environment that supports the development of reasoning, critical thinking, and judgment skills. All clinical nursing courses include simulation utilizing our family of high-fidelity mannequins from infant to adult. Our physical assessment and nursing skills simulation laboratories are equipped with a wide array of patient examination equipment, including SIM Man, SIM baby, SIM Kid, and Noelle, the birthing simulator. Labs offer interactive learning systems, where students can gain hands-on experience on campus.
Guided by Industry Leaders
Our faculty consist of highly qualified and experienced nurse educators and practitioners who share their expertise and perspective with students and help them find their niche in nursing.
Rivier’s faculty have been recognized for excellence by a number of agencies and organizations. They also hold key leadership roles in regional and national organizations, such as the NH Nurse Practitioner Association, NH Nurses Association Government Affairs Commission, Association of Public Health Nurses, and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
Industry professionals serve on the Nursing and Public Health Advisory Councils providing guidance and insight into the development of academic programs that meet the needs of healthcare in the 21st-century workforce.
A Commitment to Quality
Rivier University’s ASN, BSN, MSN, Post Master’s Certificates, and DNP programs located in Nashua, NH are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the associate nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the baccalaureate nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the master’s nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the post master’s certificates nursing programs is Continuing Accreditation.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the doctoral nursing program is Initial Accreditation.
Designed for working professionals, our Associate and Bachelor's degrees in nursing and public health are offered both on-campus and online to fit your personal and professional needs.
Our Graduate nursing programs prepare professionals for positions in advanced practice nursing and/or to teach in schools of nursing or other healthcare settings.
Our DNP program prepares graduates for leadership roles on multidisciplinary healthcare teams working to improve systems of care, patient outcomes, and population health.