Rivier University’s ASN, BSN, MSN, Post-Master’s Certificates and DNP programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000.
MSN: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Online)
Gain the advanced skills and hands-on practicum experience to advance your career and meet the growing demand for mental health services.
Why Study Nursing at Rivier?
Become a leader in mental health care and treatment with Rivier’s MSN: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. Offered online with low residency, the program will prepare you to assess, diagnose, and treat individuals and groups with psychiatric disorders and mental health needs. PMHNPs prescribe medication and administer psychotherapy as part of their patients’ treatment plans. Most PMHNPs maintain their own medical practices, but some work under the supervision of a physician according to state guidelines.
In this program you will:
- Gain the knowledge and skills necessary to function in an advanced practice role
- Learn the skills and practicum training for treating individuals and groups throughout their lifetime
- Learn to prescribe medication and administer psychotherapy
- Enhance your critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Become an effective communicator and collaborator
This MSN degree offers a combination of advanced theory and clinical education. Coursework includes:
- Psychiatric nursing theory
- Health assessment
- Quality healthcare improvement
- Health policy
- Research design
Through hands-on clinical experiences in our state-of-the-art facilities, you’ll gain the practicals skills necessary to practice with autonomy.
Multiple term starts and competitive tuition rates are all designed to help you start, and finish, faster.
- Next Start Date: January 13, 2020
- Est. Program Length: Dependent upon Entry Path
- Credit Hours: 43
- Course Length: 7 and 14 weeks
Multiple Entry Paths
The MSN: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner degree is a 43- to 49-credit program of study depending upon entry path:
- MSN—for nursing baccalaureate-prepared RNs
- MSN Bridge Option—for non-nursing baccalaureate-prepared RNs
- RN to MS Option—for experienced associate degree or diploma prepared RNs
- Post-Master’s Certificate—for RNs with an MSN degree who are seeking PMHNP-BC certification
Rivier offers multiple term starts throughout the year.
Registered nurses (RN) who complete this advanced degree coursework and clinical education (if necessary) are qualified to sit for the national exams to become a Board Certified Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP-BC).
Assistant Professor of Nursing Dr. Donna Proulx, Ph.D., RN, CCRN, CSC is working to advance substance use disorders treatment for vulnerable populations. Her doctoral research was a qualitative inquiry titled “The Lived Experience of Postpartum Women Attending Outpatient Substance-Abuse Treatment for Opioid or Heroin Use.” She holds two certifications in critical care from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (ACCN)—one in adult critical care (CCRN) and a second in adult cardiac surgery (CSC)—and is a past president of the New Hampshire Chapter of ACCN.
Where Will Your Degree Take You?
Our Psychiatric Mental Health Practitioner program will help you succeed in advanced clinical practice and leadership roles in mental health services.
Our graduates can pursue leadership roles as:
- Psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners
- Psychiatric mental health clinical nurse specialists
- Advanced practice psychiatric nurses
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Nurse practitioners
- Many other nursing leadership roles
Take the Next Steps
Graduates of this MSN program are well-positioned for a rewarding career as a family nurse practitioner.
Learn about criteria, how the admissions process works, and what you will need to apply.
Faculty will serve as your mentors and guides.
Prepare to advance your career with an MSN degree from Rivier.