Become an expert in your field of study with an Ed.D.
Ed.D. in Leadership and Learning (Online)
Further the conversation about leadership and learning within the field of education while contributing new theories, models, and constructs for teaching and learning.
- Next Start Date: September 7, 2021
- Est. Program Length: 3 years
- Credit Hours: 51
- Course Length: Two 7-week courses each semester
- Cost Per Credit: $690
Why Earn Your Ed.D. at Rivier?
With Rivier University’s online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Leadership and Learning program, you can earn your advanced degree in just three years. Leadership and Learning are the foundation for change in an increasingly complex environment with social, cultural, economic, and political influences at play. Leaders who are armed with professional experience and up-to-date knowledge of these forces can contribute to the ever-evolving fields of study in education, business, community social and behavioral health services.
Our program is designed for working professionals who hold a master’s degree and have an interest in advancing their knowledge of learning based on research about human growth and development, the approaches and practices that enhance the creation of learning environments within organizations, and the ways to facilitate real change in a leadership role.
Advance your knowledge and your degree with this program that prepares leaders to generate policies, practices, and interventions. Backed by current research, this program prepares you to drive innovation through transformational leadership. Our doctoral program equips leaders across a range of professional roles with knowledge of practices and policies shown to improve learning environments.
Program Overview – Doctor of Education
Candidates can complete their coursework online within three years while simultaneously beginning their dissertation in the first year and conducting original research on a topic of local, regional, and national significance. The program is structured to allow students to engage in doctoral study while maintaining their current employment, to develop their career goals, meet their personal aspirations, and expand their professional networks.
This online program utilizes a cohort model, in which you and other members will take a prescribed sequence of courses together as a group, forming a learning community that benefits from collaboration with other professionals in a variety of fields. Courses are offered in two, 7-week terms each semester. There are a total of six seven-week terms per year offered in the fall, spring, and summer.
Serving Professionals in a Variety of Fields
Rivier’s Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) addresses the needs of professionals in a variety of fields and roles:
- Teachers, school administrators, principals, and superintendents
- Counselors in behavioral health services
- College and university faculty
- Administrative and service professionals in colleges and universities
- Corporate development and training personnel
- Local, state, and federal policy leaders
- Counseling and mental health care professionals
The purpose of the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) at Rivier University is to extend research on what is known about leadership and learning to professionals in the social sciences; applied fields of social service, health care, and counseling; and for training and development within organizations, institutions, and systems. The program:
- Extends the ongoing conversation about leadership and learning to many disciplines and fields of study, to identify what is common in our knowledge, experiences, and practices;
- Engages professionals from the counseling professions in the discussion of leadership and learning;
- Enables professionals to contribute new theories, models, and constructs of teaching and learning to create enlightened programs and services;
- Researches human growth and development, learning, and the nature of help and support in a variety of disciplines and professions in order to formulate an informed understanding of the nature of change; and
- Allows Rivier University, with its heritage and mission, to provide a unique forum and perspective for a discussion of transformational leadership, learning, and research to improve the lives of others—especially the poor, the vulnerable, and those in need
Engage With Accomplished Faculty
Distinguished faculty from a variety of disciplines bring rich experience in leadership, knowledge of learning, strategic decision-making in policy and intervention, research design, data collection and analysis, and presentation of findings. Our faculty have backgrounds in the areas of scholarship, teaching, and service in the following:
- Human growth and development
- Leadership, administration, and supervision
- Teaching and learning theories, processes, and applications
- Psychology, counseling, mental health, and social services
- Cognitive and behavioral interventions and practices
- Curriculum, pedagogy, and practices
- Policy analysis, development, and implementation
Dr. Michael McCutcheon already had a distinguished career as a patrol sergeant when he entered the Ed.D. program. He earned his doctorate to become a professional educator and to his share knowledge with future generations of police officers. In addition to maintaining his full-time position on the Londonderry, NH, police force, he travels around the country providing hands-on forensics training to other law enforcement professionals, as well as college students. Earning his doctorate has opened doors to a second career, incorporating the work that he loves.
Take the Next Steps
Learn about criteria, how the admissions process works, and what you will need to apply.
Faculty will serve as your mentors and guides.
Extend the research on leadership and learning and drive innovation.