Graduates of the Biology program will be ready to join the workforce in a variety of innovative careers.
B.S. in Biology
Prepare to work in exciting and emerging scientific fields with the hands-on research experiences and knowledge crucial for success in today's global environment.
Why Study Biology at Rivier?
Individuals trained in STEM disciplines are in high demand. Our B.S. in Biology will provide you with a competitive edge for entry into the scientific community and prepare you to advance to leadership roles. You will be prepared for a variety of careers in biology, biotechnology, and environmental sciences as well as ready for advanced graduate study and research.
Choose Your Concentration
You’ll gain knowledge across a variety of biological disciplines and can focus on your career interests and goals by choosing from three concentrations:
- Allied Health. Coursework prepares students for careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, or laboratory-based medical research.
- Combined Biology. For those with a range of interests, the combined biology concentration provides a broad background in biology and has the flexibility for students to minor in another subject.
- Environmental Science. Students pursuing careers in conservation, ecology, animal behavior, or related environmental science fields develop the knowledge and laboratory skills necessary for success at the graduate or professional level.
Get Ready for the World
A variety of internship opportunities will take you out of the classroom and into the world. Students have interned at pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology firms, medical facilities, and a variety of other locations.
You will also have opportunities to travel to international field sites for firsthand experiences and to apply classroom knowledge while exploring different ecosystems. Through study abroad and short-term service trips to Costa Rica, Senecal, and other locations around the globe, your classroom learning will come to life as you broaden your worldview.
In addition to conducting an independent research project in your senior year, you’ll experience a variety of opportunities for hands-on learning and research conducted under the mentorship of our distinguished faculty. Students actively participate in the Biology Club and in local community services events. Those who perform well academically have the opportunity to be inducted into Beta Beta Beta, a national biological honor society.
Innovation Made Possible
With the University’s new Science and Innovation Center scheduled to open in 2020, you will conduct independent and group research as well as experiments in our state-of-the-art facility featuring:
- Learning spaces that foster innovation and discovery
- Laboratories and equipment designed to solve real-world problems
- Technology that brings classroom learning to life
- Collaborative spaces to foster faculty and student research
Where Will Your Degree Take You?
With a B.S. in Biology, you will be prepared for a variety of careers in the sciences.
- Doctors, veterinarians, and pharmacists
- Research scientists and laboratory technicians
- Clinical trial directors and pharmaceutical professionals
- Disease control specialists
- Environmental scientists
- Zookeepers, science museum and aquarium staff
Our alumni are well prepared to pursue graduate studies in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and other fields.
Associate Professor of Psychology Dr. Susan Barbaro loves the 'aha' moments when her students make a real connection to their research. “I love these moments, which come in two categories,” says Dr. Barbaro. “The first category is the ‘Come to Understanding’ moment and is recognized when students say things like: ‘I see it.’ ‘I get it now.’ ‘So that’s how that works.’ The other category is what I call the ‘Getting Into It’ moment and sounds like this: ‘Wow, that’s cool.’ ‘Awesome.’ and “I love this.” When these two moments come together, I feel like I have done my job.”
Take the Next Steps
Learn about criteria, how the admissions process works, and what you will need to apply.
Learn how you can interact with the world on our campus in Nashua and abroad.
Faculty will serve as your mentors and guides.
Join the workforce in a variety of innovative careers with the B.S. in Biology.