Graduates of our Counseling program will be positioned for a rewarding career as certified school guidance counselors.
Ed.S. in Counseling (Post-Master's)
Our Ed.S. in Counseling program is designed for professionals who hold a master’s degree in counseling, or a closely related field, and want to pursue further education and/or become certified school counselors.
- Next Start Date: January 15, 2024
- Est. Program Length: 2.5 years
- Credit Hours: 36
- Course Length: 7 and 14 weeks
- Cost Per Credit: $664
Why Study Counseling at Rivier?
Rivier’s Ed.S. in Counseling program will hone your critical thinking skills and create an enhanced breadth of professional knowledge. For counselors working with specific populations, the program will help you develop greater expertise with that population or gain exposure to new ones. This is a 36-credit program, which includes internship credits and elective course options that enable you to tailor your degree to your individual professional interests.
In this program, you will:
- Learn mental health, learning, and behavioral strategies to help students succeed academically, socially, and behaviorally
- Develop strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Become an effective communicator and collaborator
- Upon completion of this program, you will be eligible for certification in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories, the Department of Defense Education Activity, Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario per the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.
- Upon completion of all program requirements, you will be eligible for a school guidance counselor (K-12) certification by the New Hampshire State Department of Education. Becoming a credentialed counselor demonstrates expertise and leadership in this field.
- If you wish to obtain school counseling certification as part of the Ed.S. program, you may do so with the approval of the Program Director. The Program Director may authorize substitutions in the program for those seeking this certification.
Associate Professor of Education Cheryl Maykel, Ph.D. is a nationally certified school psychologist with state certification in school psychology in New Hampshire. Her current research interests are in the areas of mind-body health, childhood obesity and physical activity, and classroom disruptive behavior. Widely published, articles on her research appear in the Journal of Applied School Psychology, the International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, and the Journal of Yoga and Physical Therapy, among many others.
Where Will Your Ed.S. in Counseling Degree Take You?
Graduates are prepared for a variety of leadership roles in clinical and educational settings.
- Private and public school counselors
- Mental health professionals
- Behavioral health specialists
- Human services counselors
- Youth and family counselors
Take the Next Steps
Learn about criteria, how the admissions process works, and what you will need to apply.
Our Center for Behavioral Health Professions and Workforce Development is addressing the critical workforce shortage. Learn how we are working to create partnerships and pathways to professional degrees and licensure.
Faculty will serve as your mentors and guides.
Further your education and hone your skills and professional knowledge with an Ed.S. in Counseling from Rivier.