Cheryl Maykel, Ph.D.
Dr. Cheryl Maykel is an Associate Professor in the Counseling and School Psychology programs at Rivier University. She is a nationally certified school psychologist with state certification in school psychology in New Hampshire. Her current research interests are in the areas of mind-body health, physical activity, and classroom disruptive behavior.
- Ph.D., University of Connecticut
- M.A., University of Connecticut
- B.S., Worcester State College
- School Psychology
- Mind-body health and wellness
- Childhood obesity, physical activity
- ED 505 Advanced Psychology of Human Development
- ED 534 Assessment of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders
- ED 614 Clinical Counseling Theories
- ED 613 Collaboration & Intervention
- ED 701 Foundations of School Psychology
- ED 715-723 School Psychology Internship Seminar
- ED 810 Developmental Psychology
- ED 820 Cognitive Assessment II
Recent Publications and Proceedings
- Maykel, C., Bray, M.A., & Theodore, L.A. (2019). Attending to task and work completion. In G. Bear & K. Minke (Eds.). Helping Children Handouts. Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Tiarks, J., Bray, M.A., & Maykel, C. (2019). Stuttering. In G. Bear & K. Minke (Eds.). Helping Children Handouts. Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Riccio, C., Maykel, C., Howell, M., & Bray, M.A. (2018). Coping with chronic illness and medical stress. In S.G. Forman & J.D. Shahidullah (Eds.), Handbook of pediatric behavioral healthcare: An interdisciplinary collaborative approach (pp. 261-273). New York, NY: Springer.
- Maykel, C., Tiarks, J., & Bray, M.A. (2018). Academic stress: What is the problem and what can educators & parents do to help? In S. Deb (Ed.), Positive schooling: A holistic approach for healthy child development. New York, NY: Springer.
- Maykel, C., Bray, M.A., & Rogers, H.J. (2018). A classroom-based physical activity intervention for elementary student on-task behavior. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 34(3), 259-274. doi: 10.1080/15377903.2017.1403402
- Bilias-Lolis, E., Gelbar, N., Rispoli, K., Bray, M.A., & Maykel, C. (2017). On promoting understanding and compassionate educational practice. Psychology in the Schools, 1-9. 10.1002/pits.22077
- Maykel, C., Ottone-Cross, K.L., Shankar, N.L., Bray, M.A., Byer-Alcorace, G., & Del Campo, M. (2017). Mindful meditation for individuals with asthma and anxiety: Promising results from a multiple baseline design study. Journal of Yoga and Physical Therapy, 7(1), 1-10. doi: 10.4172/2157- 7595.1000262
- Maykel, C., Bray, M.A., Gelbar, N., Caterino, L., Avitia, M., Sassu, K., & Root, M. (2016). Psychologically-based therapies to improve lung functioning in students with asthma. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, 4(2), 79-85. doi: 10.1080/21683603.2016.1130577
- Bray, M.A. & Maykel, C. (2016). Mind-body health in the school environment. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, 4(1), 3-4. doi: 10.1080/21683603.2016.1130528
- Root, M., Bray, M.A., Maykel, C., Cross, K., Shankar, N. & Theodore, L. (2016). Students with cancer: Presenting issues and effective solutions. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, 4(1), 25-33. doi:10.1080/21683603.2016.1130549