Susan E. Langlois, D.P.E.
Dr. Susan Langlois is a mission-driven leader who has created both curricular and co-curricular programs for students at Elms College, Springfield College, Endicott College, Marian Court College, and Rivier University. Her areas of administrative expertise include strategic planning, NECHE (formerly NEASC) accreditation, faculty development programs, academic program development, student support services, enrollment and financial management, curriculum mapping, and student learning outcomes assessment.
- D.P.E., Springfield College
- M.S., Springfield College
- B.S., University of New Hampshire
“I believe that my role is to help my students make connections with their own experience. The process of academic inquiry is at its best when students are engaged to construct their own learning. I often share with students and colleagues about a concept that I call “the power of knowing.”
A major component of this “power of knowing” is to help students discover the assumptions that are behind what they accept as truths. As a lifelong educator and learner, I believe that the educational process for both the teacher and the student requires a shared mindset that is open to listening to alternative views and that craves the development of a broader perspective. How human beings listen, process what they experience, ask questions, and how they choose to act on what they have learned, can have a profound impact on the paths students choose.
I believe that the ultimate goal of education is to empower students to be contributing citizens: to help students know and believe in themselves, to experience satisfying relationships, and to have the courage to take on new challenges.”
- Development of Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment
- Cultivating Mindfulness
- Incentive Motivation Differences
- Mental Imagery Training
- Growth Mindset Applications
Recent Publications and Proceedings
- Langlois, S. E. (at press). Teaching mindfulness at camp. CampBusiness. Accepted June 22, 2021
- Langlois, S. E. (2020). Raise “the stock value” of the common core. CampBusiness.
- Langlois, S. E. (2019). Building diversity in camp staff. CampBusiness.
- Langlois, S. E. (2018). Self-efficacy: You can do it! CampBusiness.
- Langlois, S. E. & Shibles, A. (2017). Elevate your game with positive self-talk. CampBusiness. November/December, 8-10.
- Langlois, S. E. (2016) Accepting differences: Transformation across the spectrum: cultivating inclusion at camp. CampBusiness, November/December,10-12.
- Langlois, S.E. & Amaral, J.L. (2015). Teaching “The Common Core” at soccer camp. Camp Business, 22-23.
- Langlois, S.E. (2014). When faculty know every student’s story: Cooperative learning at its best. Faculty development workshop at Marian Court College, Swampscott, MA.