Assistant Teacher | Landry Early Childhood Center (Part-Time)
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for supervising and caring for children in compliance with regulations established by NAEYC and NHAEYC’s and their standards for developmentally appropriate practices in working with and instructing young children. In addition, he/she supports other staff in the implementation of the early childhood curriculum and childcare programs of the Landry Early Childhood Center (LECC). The Assistant Teacher is responsible for providing effective customer service to all internal and external customers. It is expected that the Assistant Teacher will participate in the annual professional development of self and staff, adhere to all licensing standards, as set forth by NAEYC and NHAEYC, and follow all guidelines as required by the LECC. The position report to the LECC Director.
- Assist classroom teachers by demonstrating team collaboration and collegiality and assist new and substitute staff assigned to the classroom.
- Assist classroom teachers in guiding activities of student teachers and student staff or other staff, in the absence of the teacher.
- Interact frequently with children in a positive, respectful, responsive, and encouraging manner.
- Assist in providing a safe, cheerful and motivating environment for the children.
- Assist in maintaining a neat, clean, and orderly classroom, with stimulating learning centers and hands-on activities.
- Assist in the preparation and care of materials.
- Give input to planning classroom activities and Center events.
- Know every child as an individual, observing and recording growth and development using the center approved developmental screening and assessment system.
- Participate in teacher/parent conferences, as required, and build relationships of trust through open, interactive and positive communication with parents, knowing every child’s parent(s) by name.
- Model attitudes, behaviors, and techniques which contribute to the overall harmonious operation of the program.
- Associate’s degree required in Early Childhood Education or related field, and/or 12 credits in early childhood education
- One year of Early Childhood experience in the classroom or daycare experience with children 5 years and under
- Evidence of strong written, interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Evidence of problem-solving skills and exceptional customer service to a wide variety of clients
- Ability and flexibility to lift small children, crouch, and sit on the floor for extended periods of time on a regular basis
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment
- Punctual, responsible, and organized
- Knowledge of NAEYC and NHAEYC accreditation requirements
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested individuals are invited to apply and while we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter including starting pay expectations, resume, and the contact information for three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newly hired teachers must assure that their official transcripts are sent by the degree-granting institution(s) to Rivier University LECC Office within 30 days from the effective date of employment. Regionally accredited institutions must have awarded academic degrees.
Rivier University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, marital status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability in admission or access to, treatment in or employment in its programs and activities, and Title IX requires that the University not discriminate on the bases stated above.
Rivier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rivier University has the advantage of a central New England location in a thriving small city less than 50 miles from metropolitan Boston. With a student population of 2,300 undergraduate and graduate students, the University is recognized for academic excellence, a strong liberal arts program, and professional career preparation in various fields.
Rivier University offers a comprehensive benefits package to our full‐time employees that includes paid time off, extended sick leave, medical insurance, dental insurance, flex spending account, tuition remission options, and a 403(b) retirement plan match after 1 year of employment.
Dedicated to its mission of transforming hearts and minds to serve the world, Rivier University is guided by the faith heritage, intellectual tradition, and social teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The faculty and staff are engaged in the education of the whole person in the context of an open and inclusive academic community that cultivates critical thought, sound judgment, and respect for all people. We especially encourage candidates who are committed to enhancing the racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity of the University to apply.