Accounting Specialist | Student Financial Services
Rivier University seeks a highly motivated professional to be responsible for acceptance and processing of payments for student accounts. This individual will promote customer service by interacting with students, parents, and various departments regarding account balances, holds, payments and refunds.
- Process all student payments, departmental deposits, and collection agency payments.
- Reconcile petty cash.
- Process credit card and check refunds to students.
- Add and remove holds and miscellaneous account charges as needed.
- Counsel students in person, on the phone and via email on payment options, deadlines, holds, and refunds.
- Support faculty and staff by answering questions regarding departmental deposits and procedures.
- Troubleshoot unusual transactions as they arise.
- Responsible for collection of all outstanding receivables including weekly/monthly student billing, evaluation of accounts for write-off, and billing/collection policy recommendations.
- Process tuition tax statements (1098T).
- Post all journal entries to general ledger.
- Perform monthly/quarterly/yearly reconciliations for federal funds.
- Update tables and fees for upcoming semesters/academic year.
- Responsible for third party billing.
- Maintain/update information on Student Account System and billing templates.
- Authorizes bookstore advances for students who have excess financial aid funds.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business related field required or equivalent experience.
- At least three or more years of work experience in a related field.
- Ability to complete detailed work with accuracy.
- Ability to work with a diverse university community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to express concepts clearly, diplomatically either verbally or in writing with students, parents, and administration.
- The ability to work with confidential information, analyze and interpret financial reports and data and make informed decisions.
- Ability to apply general accounting principles, particularly governmental regulations.
- Ability to be work in a team environment within Student Financial Services.
- Ability to deal with high work volumes and to be flexible in dealing with changing demands and deadlines.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested individuals are invited to apply and while we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter including starting pay expectations, resume, and the contact information for three (3) professional references to email@example.com.
Rivier University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, marital status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability in admission or access to, treatment in or employment in its programs and activities, and Title IX requires that the University not discriminate on the bases stated above.
Rivier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rivier University has the advantage of a central New England location in a thriving small city less than 50 miles from metropolitan Boston. With a student population of 2,300 undergraduate and graduate students, the University is recognized for academic excellence, a strong liberal arts program, and professional career preparation in various fields.
Dedicated to its mission of transforming hearts and minds to serve the world, Rivier University is guided by the faith heritage, intellectual tradition, and social teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The faculty and staff are engaged in the education of the whole person in the context of an open and inclusive academic community that cultivates critical thought, sound judgment, and respect for all people. We especially encourage candidates who are committed to enhancing the racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity of the University to apply.