How to connect to the RIVIER Wi-Fi
If you have already attempted to connect you must “forget” that connection. See Forget Directions below:
Right click – The “Internet Access” icon in the Windows Taskbar (lower right corner).
Select and click – “Open Network and Sharing Center”. Then -> “Set up a new connection or network”. Then -> “Manually connect to a wireless network” then click “Next”.
Fill in the following:
Network name: RIVIER (all caps)
Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption type: AES
Leave Security Key blank and then click “Next” …
Click on – “Change connection settings” and select the Security tab.
Click on – “Settings” next to “Choose a network authentication method”
Uncheck – “Verify the server’s identity by validating the certificate”.
Within the same dialog box – Next to “Select Authentication Method”. Click on – “Configure”.
Uncheck – “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password …” Click OK.
Click – “OK” – On the “Protected PEAP Properties” dialog box.
Click on – “Advance Settings” then tab “802.1x settings” (should be default).
Check/enable – “Specify authentication mode” and select “User authentication” from the drop down menu. Click “Save Credentials”.
Type – Your RIVNET account “User name” (typically first initial+lastname) and “Password”. Click “OK”.
Click – “OK” on all open dialog boxes and complete by clicking “Close”.
How to forget a wireless connection:
If you have an older login or RIVIER setting that does not work, step number one would be to clear that old setting by following the steps outlined here: Click the “Windows Branding Logo” in the lower left taskbar. Click “Settings” -> Click “Network & Internet” -> Click “Manage Wi-Fi settings” -> Click “RIVIER” -> Click “Forget”. Then follow the above instructions.
How to connect to RivierOpen Wireless connection
If you would like to connect your laptop, tablet, phone, or gaming console to RivierOpen wireless connection, you will need to register with the link below.
You will need to login using your user name and password.
Do I need to purchase Microsoft Office 2016 or Office 2016 for class?
Student will be assigned an Office 365 account so they can check/send email. They will also have access to use Word, Calendar, One Drive, Excel, PowerPoint, plus much more to use online. Students will be able to use the app on their Windows PC, Mac, Windows Tablets, Windows Phone, Android devices, and IOS iPads and iPhones. Students will also have the option to download 1 copy of Office 365 to a Windows PC or MAC computer.
I cannot access Canvas.
If you have a Canvas-specific question or issue, please contact the 24/7 Canvas Support Hotline:
(877) 469-0137 NOTE: Canvas is supported through the Canvas Support Help Desk, not through Rivier University Help Desk.
Can I login to my Rivier University desktop off campus?
Yes, you will need to download and install software call Horizon View. Once Horizon View has been installed you will need to add the server name: vdesk.rivier.edu. Now you will be ready to log into your profile using your Rivier Login name and password.
- Install VMWare Horizon View Client
- Add Server Connection: vdi.rivier.edu
- Username and password: use your Rivier account
Students can be anywhere in the world and still access their Rivier Desktop.
Where is the computer lab located? What are the hours of operation?
The Office of Information Technology is located in
Sylvia Trottier Hall, room 233
Office hours are M-TH 7:00am-10:00pm.
Office hours are Friday 7:00am-5:00pm
Office hours are Sunday 6:00am-10:00pm.
What is the best laptop to buy?
The best laptop to buy is the one that is the best fit you the student. Lenovo, Dell, HP or Apple, all provide great products. You will want to ask, what are the needs of the laptop? Will it be used for research and writing papers? Will it be used for creating, editing graphics or video or anything that would require more processor power? Is this going to be a gaming laptop?
The laptop should have
· 8GB of RAM
· I3 or I5 Processor – for writing papers, research, social media
· I7 Processor – if you work with creative and design graphics, or gaming
It ultimately is what your needs are.
How to add a printer
· Click on the Start Menu and select Devices and Printers from the column on the right.
· Click on Add a Printer on the menu at the top of the window.
· Click on Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer then click Next.
· Click on The printer that I want isn’t listed, then click Next.
· Click on Select a shared printer by name. In the field enter \\PRINTA\PRINTERNAME, where PRINTERNAME is the name of the printer you wish to add. In the following example, the printer name is STH106. As you type the printer name, Windows may auto-fill available printers for you. If you see the printer you want, select it. Then click Next.
· If everything has gone correctly, you should see the following confirmation screen. Then click Next.
· On the last screen, you can choose to set this printer as your default printer by checking the checkbox, and/or send a test page by clicking Print a test page. Click Finish and repeat process to connect to any additional printers.
· If you are on campus, in a computer lab, or at your desk
o Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and then click Change a password.
o Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press Enter.
· On or Off-Campus
o Rivier University Online Password Reset Assistant – https://www.rivier.edu/it/password-reset/password-reset.aspx
o You will need to enter your USER NAME, FIRST NAME, AND LAST NAME
· Password Requirements: Rivier University requires that your password be at least 8 characters long and include at least three of the following characters: Upper case letter, lower case letter, number, and symbol. For example: “Password1#” would include all four character types.
How to map a network drive:
- Open Computer by clicking the Start Button, and then clicking Computer.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Map Network Drive. …
- In the Drive list, click a drive letter. …
- In the Folder box, type the path of the folder or computer, or click Browse to find the folder or computer. …
- Click Finish.
Email setup on Android devices or iPhones
· Download the Microsoft Outlook from App store or Play Store
1. Login with Email Address and password
· Manual setup with Microsoft Exchange
Mobile devices from different vendors have different setup screens, so these are general instructions. In order to setup email on your phone, you will need to setup a new Microsoft Exchange account on your phone. You will need the following information:
1. DOMAIN: RIVNET
2. MAIL SERVER: email.rivier.edu
3. Your Rivier computer account username and password.