B.A. in English Education
Read, write and share your love of the English language.
Students with a passion for literature and writing, and a desire to share those interests, can pursue a degree in English education. This program prepares graduates to become middle and high school English teachers, as well as for a host of other careers. Rivier’s strong, hands-on education program delivers:
- A 100% pass rate on national certification exams;
- Field experience beginning in freshman year;
- 175 hours of classroom training completed prior to student teaching;
- Certification eligibility in 41 states, plus the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, and the United Stated Department of Defense Dependents' Schools worldwide.
- Rivier education graduates have nearly a 100% job placement rate.
Rivier’s English education degree fulfills all the requirements of our English major and the New Hampshire State Department of Education Professional Standards for Teachers, which are required for certification. The curriculum allows students a literature or writing focus, and includes courses in British and American literature, creative and professional writing, and public speaking, as well as teaching and secondary education coursework.
The program culminates with a 16-week student teaching assignment at a local middle or high school, which is coordinated by Rivier’s Education Department staff. Graduates are confident in front of a classroom; through observations and student teaching, they connect theory with practice for classroom success.
Rivier’s education degrees prepare graduates for the “classroom of the future.” With assistance from several federal grants—including Project New Teachers—the University has become a statewide leader in preparing teachers to integrate technology into their classrooms.
Rivier University is a College of Distinction.
Department of Education
Rivier's high-quality, hands-on bachelor's and master's programs prepare students for leadership roles in a global environment. For more information, visit the Department of Education.
B.A. in English Education graduates can pursue roles as:
- Middle and high school English teachers
- College professors
- Writers, reporters and journalists
- Public relations managers and directors
- Publishing professionals
- Many other education and writing-related positions
Note: Some careers may require additional graduate study.