Graduates of our Teaching Middle/Secondary English program will be positioned for a rewarding career in a variety of educational settings.
M.A. in Teaching Middle/Secondary English
Earn your M.A. in Teaching Middle/Secondary English and share your love of the English language while building a rewarding career. Rivier offers secondary education programs for both current and prospective teachers.
Why Study Teaching Middle/Secondary English at Rivier?
Rivier offers the Master of Arts in Teaching Middle/Secondary English in two tracks—one for current teachers and the other for career changers.
For current teachers, this degree increases classroom competencies and offers advanced education theory specific to English/language arts classrooms. Prospective teachers will deepen their knowledge of literature, language, and writing, and develop teaching strategies and skills for classroom success. You will also receive preparation for certification to teach English/language arts in secondary grades 5–12.
Current teachers may personalize the program to meet their goals and needs: choose electives in curriculum design and development, testing, exceptional learners, and more. Prospective teachers in the M.A. in Teaching Middle/Secondary English program get a solid foundation in classroom management and teaching methodologies to complement their subject area knowledge.
In the M.A. in Teaching Middle/Secondary English program, you will:
- Become an effective educator and communicator
- Connect theory with practice for classroom success
- Develop your critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Multiple term starts and competitive tuition rates are designed to help you start, and finish, faster.
- Next Start Date: October 28, 2020
- Est. Program Length: 2 years
- Credit Hours: 36 – 39
- Course Length: 7 and 14 weeks
- Upon completion of this program, you will be eligible for certification in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories, the Department of Defense Education Activity, Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario per the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.
- The M.A.T. Middle/Secondary English with Certification will prepare you to meet all the New Hampshire State Certification requirements for a secondary teacher of English, and most or all requirements for secondary certification in many other states.
- Students seeking teacher certification must apply for licensure after successfully completing all program requirements. New Hampshire teacher licensure is not automatic with the completion of the internship.
Dr. Angela DeSilva Mousseau, Professor of Education, was granted a research award from the National Institute of Health to study the impact of stress on adolescents and young adults. Dr. Mousseau’s research continues to focus on adolescents and young adults. It is grounded in Positive Youth Development with a specific focus on how sense of purpose develops. Her research includes a collaboration across multiple universities—including Boston College and Winngate University—and utilizes a mixed-methods research approach to studying the development of purpose.
Where Will Your Teaching Middle/Secondary English Degree Take You?
Graduates of this program are well-rounded academic leaders, prepared to work in a variety of professional and educational settings.
- Grades 5-12 English/Language Arts teachers
- ESOL teachers
- Community college professors
- Learning center professionals
Take the Next Steps
Learn about criteria, how the admissions process works, and what you will need to apply.
Faculty will serve as your mentors and guides.
Prepare for a rewarding career with an M.A. in Teaching Middle/Secondary English from Rivier.