The Department of English offers academic programs that prepare students for careers in diverse areas. Students gain the knowledge and skills to succeed in publishing, public relations, broadcasting, journalism, education, business, and more.
The undergraduate English program offers students the opportunity to study literature, creative writing, and English education in preparation for a career as a middle or high school English teacher. Offerings in literature and creative writing encourage students to discover the wonder of literature and increase their ability to read and write with understanding and depth.
The University's master's degree programs in English are distinctive for their breadth of course offerings and for the highly qualified faculty who teach them. These programs provide the writing and critical thinking skills essential to a wide range of careers in education, marketing, law, business, and other areas. Faculty members serve as vital resources, guiding students as they explore personal and professional advancement opportunities made possible through the program.
Students who have earned master's degrees in English from Rivier have completed Ph.D.s or found careers in such fields as:
- teaching at middle, secondary, college, and university levels
- publishing and editing
- journalism and freelance writing
- script writing
- public relations
- media and information technologies
- Students gain confidence and build skills through real-world assignments. English students have completed work for BAE Systems, the Lowell Sun, the Telegraph, area theaters, the United Way, and other non-profit organizations.
- A 20-station communications lab equipped with the most recent design and illustration software, allows students to build portfolios and gain experience creating electronic and print communications.