We know that environment has an important impact on teaching and learning. That's why our Center was designed by an early education specialist with a focus on individual and collaborative experiences.
The Center consists of eight child-friendly classrooms arranged around a central Rotunda. This creates a hub of community-based activity and learning accessible from each classroom.
A Child-Focused Design
Classrooms are arranged with distinct interest areas around each room. These areas allow children to make clear choices as they proceed through the day. The daily schedule of each classroom has certain guidelines and predictability, helping children feel secure and independent; while also allowing enough flexibility to ensure that each day is shaped by the children’s inquiries, interest, and unplanned “teachable moments.”
Indoor and Outdoor Spaces Support Learning
Additional learning spaces and features of the Center include:
- The teacher designed George-Reynik Memorial Playground, which provides toddlers and pre-schoolers with age-appropriate equipment for enhancing the development of motor skills.
- The Enchanted Forest functions as an outdoor classroom and includes climbing walls and logs, bird houses and feeders, musical boards, and vegetable and butterfly gardens.
- Observation rooms that allow parents, students, and professionals to observe classrooms unobtrusively.
- A large function room for classroom and Center events, with audio-visual equipment to enhance learning experiences with technology.
- Access to Rivier University grounds including athletic fields, gymnasium, Dining Center, library and resource center, and more.
Take the Next Step
We look forward to welcoming you to the Landry Early Childhood Center family!