What is Consent
Effective Consent Definition
Effective Consent means words or actions that show an active, knowing and voluntary agreement to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity.
Effective Consent cannot be gained:
- By force
- By ignoring or acting without regard to the objections of another
- By taking advantage of the incapacitation of another, where the accused student knows or reasonably should have known of such incapacitation
- Incapacitation is most commonly caused by the consumption of alcohol (and/or drugs).
- When the activity in question exceeds the scope of effective consent previously given
- Example would be consent given for kissing but that consent does not mean that the consent extends to an encounter of sexual intercourse.
- When your partner is silent. Silence, in and of itself, cannot convey consent.
- When your partner is under the designated minimum age to give consent
For further clarification about consent, please watch the short video found below.