Finance & Administration/Business Office
Rivier University, located in Nashua, New Hampshire, is an institution dedicated to the education of undergraduate and graduate students in both liberal arts and professional courses of study. Rivier University seeks a Controller to assist senior management in providing strategic financial oversight of the University in fulfilling its mission of transforming hearts and minds to serve the world.
Under the supervision of the Vice President for Finance & Administration, the Controller manages all aspects of the University's accounting and investment services, budgeting, fixed and capital assets, construction accounting and General Ledger. The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of the University and supervise a team including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, financial reporting, cash management, grant accounting, and budget management. The Controller will serve as the primary liaison to the external auditor. The Controller will ensure that the University has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
- Supervise staff and operations of Accounts Payable Office and Assistant Controller
- Manage debt administration and bond compliance
- Monitor and manage working capital and liquidity needs as well as facilitate electronic transfer of funds to meet the University’s daily financial obligations
- Maintain investment accounting for endowments and consolidated pool
- Support the VP of Finance in engaging the board's audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Maintain physical plant accounting records for fixed assets, capital construction projects, depreciation and amortization
- Establish strong internal controls to safeguard financial assets
- Oversee tax administration and compliance, including payroll tax returns
- Oversight of restricted funds and ensures timely/accurate income projections for use by the Office of Financial Aid and other University constituents
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP standards including appropriate footnotes
- Oversee pre and post grant accounting activities assuring compliance with government and private granting regulations including, but not limited to:
- Generation of new policies directly related to grant needs and regulations
- Maintenance of existing policies to ensure ongoing compliance with third party awarding agencies
- Work with Primary Investigators on budget development and post-award monitoring/reconciliation
- Manage the Effort Reporting process through the use of Personnel Activity Reports for all grant staff on a bi-annual basis
- Ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period
- Assist with annual operating budget planning among operational units and senior staff:
- Analyze departmental budget submissions for needs and trends
- Make budget recommendations where applicable
- Work with Vice President of Finance & Administration to develop a University-wide budget for Board of Trustee approval
- Monitor approved operating budget performance by:
- Oversight of quarterly reconciliation process
- Manage submissions by University departments
- Analyze and report on variances through quarterly budget to actual summaries
- Manage the year end close process by developing appropriate schedule and materials for disbursement to University departments
- Oversee annual audit procedures and act as liaison to external auditors
- Serve as liaison to University’s financial institutions and investment advisors
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal financial reporting requirements
- Eight to ten years of progressive experience in positions of accounting
and financial responsibility, with a minimum of three years of higher education
or comparable experience.
- Substantial experience
coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget analysis, accounts
payable, general ledger, purchasing, and general accounting
- Professional experience to
include technical expertise in accounting, financial statement preparation,
budget management and cash management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of
accounting information systems, preferably Great Plains Dynamics, report
writing software, preferably Crystal Reports, and spreadsheet software.
- Thorough knowledge of finance,
accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted
- Effective group presentation
skills and the ability to explain complex financial and business concepts to
- Business process engineering
mentality and experience implementing process improvements
- Demonstrated ability to work
well with staff at all levels throughout the University; create and promote a
positive, supportive, and customer centric work environment
- Personal qualities of
integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the University's mission;
a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the
VP of Finance, the responsibility for finance
- Experience in grants management
as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and
foundation grants a plus
- Ability to define problems,
collect and analyze data, and make strategic recommendations.
- A strong ability to maintain confidential information and use
- Exceptional oral and written
communication skills with all levels of the organization are required.
- Keen analytic, organization and
problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation
Education: A Bachelor
Degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university in Accounting,
Finance or Business Administration; Master's preferred.
Certification: CPA required.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Interested individuals are invited to apply. And, while we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted. Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae or resume, the names of three (3) professional references, and starting pay expectations to email@example.com or Office of Human Resources, Rivier University, 420 South Main Street, Nashua NH 03060. Rivier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.