Academic Affairs/Landry Early Childhood Center
20 hours, 52 weeks
- Assist in teaching and supervising children, implementing appropriate educational curricula, leading/overseeing a wide range of daily activities, and providing general care for the children as appropriate for their age.
- Serve and supervise meals and/or snacks. Participate in field trips and special events. Maintain a safe indoor and outdoor environment for the children.
- Assist teachers in planning daily lessons and activities, adapt general classroom materials/methods as indicated by the teacher, assist with/carry out a variety of daily classroom management tasks.
- Implement individualized instructional plans and programs for assigned special needs children, under the direction of classroom, special education and/or other certified teachers, working with children individually and/or in small groups.
- Assist in developing, compiling and organizing instructional materials, under the direction of teaching staff.
- Implement behavior management/modification plans for individual children.
- Instruct children in basic life skills, such as acceptable social behavior, dressing/undressing for outdoors, toileting, care of belongings, insertion of hearing aids and use of other assistive devices and special equipment, and the like.
- Assist children as required with toileting, eating, transport in and transfer to/from wheelchairs, walkers and similar devices, and other physical needs. Check and adjust hearing aids. Lift and carry children as required.
- Assist in implementing physical therapy and other specialized programs for children.
- Assist in evaluating children's progress, problems and needs, developing teaching and behavior management strategies and instructional plans, and so forth. Participate in meetings, parent conferences, informal daily parent communications, and the like as requested/appropriate.
- Work with teachers and senior paraprofessionals to improve and expand teaching and counseling skills, understanding of specific disabilities, knowledge of school rules/policies/procedures/practices/philosophies, and so forth. Attend staff meetings, in-service and outside training and development activities, participate on committees as requested.
- Complete a minimum of one course per year towards a certificate, Associates or B.A, if candidate does not hold a degree.
- Related duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related major
- Minimum of 9 credits in ECE, with at least three credits in Child Growth and Development, and 2 to 4 years of relevant experience and/or post-secondary education, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. Relevant experience working with infant through pre-school age children.
- Good general understanding of standard child care operations, and familiarity with pre-school classroom management and teaching methods.
- Familiarity with various types of disabilities desirable.
- Good organizational skills, basic typing/keyboarding and other basic computer skills.
- CPR, first aid, and basic health care training required.
- Ability to show patience, respect and compassion in working with children.
- Ability to respond calmly and efficiently to various types of emergency situations.
- Ability to exercise a high level of discretion with regard to sensitive confidential student information.
- Ability to assist children physically as required, including lifting and carrying in specific cases.
- Ability to work cooperatively with classroom and special services teachers, as well as other school personnel and consultants; and to deal courteously and efficiently with parents in coordinating daily activities.
- The ability and willingness to support the Mission of the University; and to work collaboratively and collegially.
Interested individuals are invited to apply. And, while we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted. Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter stating pay expectations, resume and the names of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or Office of Human Resources, Rivier University, 420 South Main Street, Nashua NH 03060. No agencies please. EOE