International Students

F1 Student Services

Obtaining a Driver’s License in New HampshireAll international students are required to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles at 10 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305 to apply for a New Hampshire driver’s license. You will need to bring the following documents:

  • letter from the International Student Advisor verifying F-1 full time status
  • a copy of SEVIS Form I-20
  • passport (with the visa page and I-94)

Information about applying for a New Hampshire license is available at the International Student Advising Office. Please allow the international student advisor 24 hours to prepare the requested letter.

Obtaining a Social Security NumberThe student should apply in person to the Office of Social Security Administration and must be an active F-1 student; this means being registered full time and having an active record on SEVIS. The following documents are required for the social security application:

  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • passport with I-94 and visa
  • completed social security application (Form SS-5)
  • on-campus or other work agreement
  • letter of verification of status from your International Student Advisor (please notify International Student Advising Office 24 hours in advance to issue this letter)

For more information on obtaining a social security number, please stop by International Student Advising Office for assistance or contact us at (603) 897-8781.

NOTE: If you changed status to F-1, allow 14 days from the date of the I-797 Approval Notice before applying for a social security number. If you just recently entered the United States of America, make sure that your SEVIS record is active before applying for a social security number. For this, you need to contact ISAO, schedule an appointment and prepare a copy of your proof of full time registration.

Income Tax InformationAll F-1 students must comply with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requirements by April 15 of every year. F-1 students must file Form 8843 even if they did not work during the year. If a student has been employed, the student will receive a W-2 form from an employer by January 30. Do not throw this form away, as it must be filed with the appropriate income tax form, usually the 1040NREZ. Forms and IRS Publication 901 will be available through International Student Advising Office. Publication 901 is a summary of tax treaties. You can also download forms and publications through the IRS website:

Commencement Invitations:  Invitation letters to the students' family members who wish to attend commencement events can be requested with our International Student Advisor. We will need personal information such as their first and last names, dates of birth and relationships to the student. Please contact the office at (603) 897-8781 or e-mail for this request.

For F-1 status and immigration related issues, please contact:

Dey Barriga
International Student Advisor