It will be helpful for you to prepare yourself ahead before living in another country. Be aware of your surrounding and be informed as much as possible. Here are some reminders that you could do before you depart.
- Learn about the country you are going to: Visit online cultural training resource for study abroad students.
- You are responsible for your own safety: Check the Department of State website for updated information. You will learn from this site about valuable information on current political climate, security/crime, health conditions and medical facilities, entry and currency requirements and the location of the US Embassy or Consulate at http://www.usembassy.gov/
- Be informed on issues relating to gender, ethnicity and religion, sexual orientation, and disabilities for your host country and countries to which you will travel. Check out http://overseas.iu.edu/lesbigay/ (NAFSA: Rainbow Special Interest Group)
- Knowing the current events in your host country is helpful. Go online and begin to research about the specific country you are going to. More information on current events and the like will surely be available to you.
- Check out STA Travel for good deals on bus passes, flights, etc. STA Travel is a global travel specialist with 30 years experience advising young people on holidays and adventures abroad. We offer a unique range of flights, accommodation, tours and expeditions in 90 countries and send over 6 million passengers away each year. STA Travel has over 400 branches worldwide.
- Register with your country's embassy or consulate: U.S. citizens can register through the US Department of State website.
- Flight information: Make sure that all your l travel accommodations and bookings are confirmed prior to your departure. Leaving a copy of your itinerary to a family member is recommended. Keeping their contact information will also be helpful in case of an unexpected change of itinerary.