Action for Boston Community Development, MA
Human Resources – Volunteer Services
We are looking for a Communications Intern who is interested in learning new skills and applying their knowledge to assist with volunteer services at a non-profit human services
agency. This internship will offer the student an opportunity to be creative in designing and writing for the agency’s volunteer services newsletter. The intern will gain working knowledge of
gathering resourceful data, writing impactful articles, and designing captivating layouts. In addition, the intern will have the ability to work cooperatively with organizations and the
general public to recruit volunteers for special and ongoing projects. Finally, the intern will understand the importance of supporting an efficient volunteer program under challenges of
serving more clients with less funding from the government.
Duties & Responsibilties:
• Assist with the creation of the agency’s volunteer services newsletter, including sourcing,
designing, writing and distributing.
• Communicate with hiring managers regarding event/program details, volunteer needs, and
• Communicate with prospective volunteers to identify their interests with matching
opportunities, while ensuring their applications are complete and processed in an accurate
and timely manner.
• Establish and maintain working relationships with local colleges, agencies and companies to
recruit volunteers for special events and on-going projects.
• Other related duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Undergraduate student majoring in Communications, Journalism or a related field.
• Knowledge of Constant Contact or similar email marketing software highly preferred.
• Prior experience in recruitment/outreach/marketing a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills with close attention to detail.
• Two writing samples required.
Length of Commitment:
Ongoing internship with flexible days/hours for 14-21 hours per week.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Department,
178 Tremont St. Boston, MA 02111, Fax (617) 423-7693, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: this is an unpaid internship, however, work-study eligibility will be considered
Action for Boston Community Development is Boston's antipoverty agency, serving more than 85,000 low-income Greater Boston residents in
2011 through its city-wide network of neighborhood-based organizations. ABCD provides innovative, timely programs that promote upward mobility
and a higher quality of life for people and communities. To learn more about our programs, please visit www.bostonabcd.org.