Plan of Action Worksheet- Example
Career Goal #1: Interest in Photography, Sports, and the Newspaper Industry
I WILL READ ABOUT IT, TALK ABOUT IT, AND OBSERVE IT
I will read the following materials about this occupation by (date): December 2003
1. Encyclopedia of Careers section on the Newspaper and Magazine Industry
2. Occupational Outlook Handbook online: Photographers and Photojournalists
I will talk to the following people about this occupation by (date): January 2004
1. Professors in Rivier’s Communications & Art /Photography & Digital Imaging Depts.
2. Sports Photojournalist employed by the Nashua Telegraph
I will job shadow the following people employed in this occupation by: May 2005
1. My uncle’s brother who works as a reporter for the Boston Globe
2. A Sports Specialty Mentor contacted through student membership in the National Press
I WILL GAIN CAREER RELATED SKILLS THROUGH HANDS-ON EXPERIENCES
If possible, I will volunteer or participate in a student, community, or service learning activity to build leadership, special knowledge, or transferable skills that are preferred in this occupation by: May 2005
The people/resources that I will contact or utilize to investigate student, community, or service learning opportunities is/are:
1. Editor-in-chief of Rivier student newspaper, Riv in Review (sports and photography
2. Contact person for the Rivier University Yearbook Committee (photography focus)
3. Coordinator of Public Relations and Volunteer Services – Special Olympics of NH
4. Director of Community Summer Day Camp Program- Photography Teacher position
If possible, I will get part-time/summer work or an internship related to this occupation by (date): Summer 2006
The people/resources I will contact to investigate employment and/or internship opportunities is/are:
1. Professionals from my info interview, job shadowing, and volunteer experiences
2. Rivier University Career Development Center resources (web site, individual guidance)
3. Cold call or e-mail sports or news editors at newspaper organizations of interest.
I WILL TAKE RELEVANT COURSE ELECTIVES TO ENHANCE MY DEGREE
Here are some academic or special interest courses I could take to develop career related knowledge and skills that would be sought by employers or graduate schools of interest:
1. News and/or Public Relations Writing, Mass Communication
2. Photography I and II, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography
3. General Psychology, Sports Psychology, Psychology of Communication
Educational Goal #1: Major in FineArts/Studio Arts with a concentration in Photography and Digital Imaging – Minor in Communications
If you’re strongly considering a particular major field of study, you may want to spend a little extra time learning more about how this degree can support you with your future career and life plans. The following suggestions may help you plan your “Road Trip” to academic and career success.
I WILL READ
To learn more about this major and its potential career tracks, I will use the following resources in the Career & Major Resource Research Guide to read about it by (date): May 2004
The CDC web site’s “Major Options” link – Art and Communications Major
The 50 Coolest Jobs in Sports – CDC Career Library Book
Real People Working in Communications – CDC Career Library Book
I WILL INTERVIEW
To get a first hand viewpoint of this major and the various opportunities available to successful graduates, I will interview the following people by (date): December 2004
Professor in this major.
Professor in this minor.
Senior students in this major/minor: Students recommended by Imaging Studio Director and Communications Director.
Professional related to this major: The Sports Specialty Mentor from the National Press Photographers Association that I intend to job shadow
I WILL TEST DRIVE
To reality test career options of interest, with either a direct or indirect connection to this major, I will set up a date to job shadow at the following location/s by (date): May 2005
Boston Globe Location
Uncle Ted’s brother who is a sports reporter for the Boston Globe Contact Person
Tuesday, December 18th, 2004, at 2pm Date and Appointment Time