INTERNATIONAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the General and Specific Admissions requirements on the previous page, International students must complete the following:
Transcript evaluation All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an agency approved by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. (A list of approved agencies is available at the Office of Graduate Admissions.)
Submit Evidence of English Proficiency
Students whose native language is not English must provide evidence of proficiency of the English language.
- A score of 550 points paper based, (79 Internet based) or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for unrestricted acceptance.
- A score of 500-550 paper based, (61-80 Internet based) requires the recommendation of the divisional chairperson or director, and an interview.
- Below 500: An applicant does not meet the English language requirements for acceptance if their score falls below 500 paper based (173 computer based; 61 internet based).
- A student may reapply after reporting a TOEFL score of 500 or above.
- IELTS (International English Language System) scores can be submitted in lieu of the TOEFL. The applicant must score 5.5 for general acceptance and 6.0 for nursing acceptance on this test.
- The applicant is responsible for making sure that the score report is received at the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Providing a TOEFL or IELTS score may not be required if an applicant satisfies one or more of these conditions:
- A college or university degree earned prior to submission of this application in the United States.
- Students who have successfully completed two years of full-time academic study in a degree-granting program in the United States.
SEVIS Form I-20 for F-1 Status Requests
If requesting an I-20 for F-1 status, an official bank statement reflecting a balance of $21,121 (US) for non-health sciences and $27,169 for health sciences programs is required. An additional $3,000(US) must be reflected for spouse and each additional child. If the student is being sponsored, the sponsor must submit a letter stating their willingness to sponsor the student and a financial statement reflecting the balances stated above.
For more international student information, please visit the International Student Advising Office website.