Tuition & Financial Aid

If you are enrolled in a degree program and taking at least 5 credits in a semester you may be eligible for federal financial aid. Your options may include loans, endowed scholarships, and other alternative financing programs. Our Financial Aid Office can simplify the process for you by helping you decide on the best financing plan to meet your needs.

To be considered for financial aid, students must:

  • be enrolled in a degree-granting program at a minimum of half-time status (at least 5 credits per semester)
  • be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident

To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can file the FAFSA online at have your information forwarded to Rivier University; include our Title IV code (002586) on your FAFSA.

Financial Aid for graduate students consists almost entirely of long-term Direct Unsubsidized Loans payable over 10 years. Graduate students are automatically considered "independent" by federal guidelines; therefore, parental information is not required. Graduate Students may borrow up to $20,500 annually or their total costs of education (possibly including tuition, fees, living expenses, educational travel expenses, books and supplies), whichever is less.


2014-2015 Cost Per Credit

Graduate Courses (face-to-face, hybrid, and online): $530/credit
Graduate Nursing Clinical Courses: $943/credit
Doctorate of Education Courses (face-to-face, hybrid, and online): $570/credit
Doctorate of Psychology Courses (800+ level courses): $820/credit

The Office of Financial Aid is located in Adrienne Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please call (603) 897-8510 with questions or to set up an appointment. For information on flexible payment plans, click here.

Financial Aid FAQs

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Rivier University with our title IV code (002586) on the form. The FAFSA is available at high schools and colleges or at For your convenience, Rivier University also offers an electronic financial aid office, with forms and helpful information, available here.

Q: When should I apply for aid?

The financial aid filing cycle begins each January 1st to apply for aid for the following fall, spring and then following summer semesters. Students are encouraged to file the FAFSA form as soon as possible after January 1 each year. If you are beginning your Rivier classes between January and June, you will need to file two FAFSA forms in that first year, one for the current year (to cover spring and summer) and one for the next year (fall, spring and summer). The FAFSA web site will guide you through this process.

Q: What happens after I file the FAFSA?

Within a few days after filing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) at the email address you provided to the Department of Education. You will be asked to review the information in the SAR for accuracy and to make any corrections necessary with the federal processor. The report shows the Expected Family Contribution, an important figure based on the federal formula that helps us determine your financial need. The Office of Financial Aid at Rivier University receives an Institutional Student Aid Record electronically from the federal government if you have listed Rivier on the form when you completed it.

Q: What are the most important factors in determining the Expected Family Contribution?

The Expected Family Contribution is based on a number of factors including family size, income, assets, and number of family members in college.

Q: How do I accept my award?

To accept your financial aid award, you can either sign and return one of the copies that was sent to you in the mail or log into your Net Partner account with the information provided in the letter and accept the aid online. For more information about Net Partner, please visit the Financial Aid web page called Accessing Your Financial Aid Online.