Rivier University is pleased to serve international students from around the world. Staff in the International Student Advising Office are here to answer any questions you may have about applying to Rivier and becoming part of the University community.
To apply, please submit the following materials to Rivier University:
- Application for Admission: Complete the online application or paper version available from the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Application Fee: A nonrefundable $25 fee is submitted with paper applications. Checks should be made payable to Rivier University. Applications for graduate and professional studies undergraduate programs submitted online do not require a fee.
- Statement of Purpose Essay: In one to two typed pages, please give your reasons for deciding to do graduate work in the field you have chosen. We are particularly concerned that you cover these points: What previous experiences and commitments have brought you to consider pursuing a graduate program? What are your chief objectives in applying now? How do you think Rivier University's graduate program will help you in the pursuit of your objectives?
- Official transcripts from prior college and universities you have attended. Any school outside of the US must also have a transcript evaluation submitted (see below).
- Official English language proficiency test scores: Students whose native language is not English must provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. Official scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language System (IELTS) are accepted. Test scores are considered official only when they are sent directly to Rivier University from the Educational Testing Service. Rivier’s school code is 3728.
- Minimum scores: TOEFL score of 61 on the Internet Based Test (500 paper based score or 177 Computer Based Test) is required for unrestricted acceptance to a degree program. Scores between 61 and 79 require approval by the divisional chairperson. See the Office of Graduate Admissions for more detail on the paper based test scores or computer based scores on the TOEFL test.
- IELTS scores can be submitted in lieu of the TOEFL but the student must score 5.5 for general acceptance and 6.0 for nursing program acceptance.
- Scores below 61 (TOEFL) or 5.5 (IELTS): An applicant does not meet the English language requirements for acceptance if their score falls below the minimum scores.
- A student may reapply after reporting an acceptable TOEFL score.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the score report is received by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Testing requirement exceptions:
Providing a TOEFL or IELTS score may not be required if an applicant satisfies one or more of these conditions:
1. A college or university degree earned prior to submission of this application in the United States.
2. Students who have successfully completed two years of full-time academic study in a degree-granting program in the United States.
- Other Test Scores
GRE (Graduate Record Exams) and/or MAT (Miller Aptitude Tests) are only required for our graduate nursing programs. Other master's level programs do not require these exams.
SEVIS Form I-20 for F-1 visa requests
If an applicant is requesting an I-20 form for F-1 student visa status you are required to submit:
- An official bank statement reflecting a balance of $23,540 (US) for non-health sciences and $30,992 for health sciences programs is required (2014-2015 year).
- An additional $3,000 (US) must be reflected for spouse and each additional child.
- If the student is being sponsored, the sponsor must submit a letter stating their willingness to sponsor the student and a financial statement reflecting the balances stated above. For undergraduate international student applicants, proof of financial statements reflecting a balance of $45,250 (US) commuter; $45,790 (US) resident.
For more international student information, please visit the International Student Advising Office.
Admission applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and there is no admission deadline. Please ensure that there is enough time to review your application before your start term begins. Normal processing time is two to four weeks from when your application material is completed.
Suggested International Documentation Centers
WORLD EDUCATION SERVICES
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTATION
P.O. Box 199
Boston, MA 02117
Phone: (617) 338-7171
Fax: (617) 338-7101
GLOBE LANGUAGE SERVICES, INC.
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 227-1994
Fax: (212) 693-1489
GLOBAL EDUCATION GROUP, INC.
407 Lincoln Road, Suite 2H
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Phone: (305) 534-8745
Fax: (305) 534-3487