Tuition & Financial Aid

If you are enrolled in a degree program and taking at least 6 credits, you may be eligible for federal financial aid. Your options may include grants, loans, endowed scholarships, and other alternative financing programs. Our Financial Aid Office can simplify the process and help you decide on the best financing plan to meet your needs.

To be considered for financial aid, students must:

  • be enrolled in a degree-granting program at a minimum of half-time status (6 credits per semester)
  • be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident

To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can file the FAFSA online at have your information forwarded to Rivier University; include our Title IV code (002586) on your FAFSA.


2014-2015 Cost Per Credit
Undergraduate Professional Studies Courses (face-to-face, hybrid, and online): $320/credit
Nursing Clinical Courses: $943/credit
The Office of Financial Aid is located in Adrienne Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please call (603) 897-8510 with questions or to set up an appointment. For information on flexible payment plans, click here.

Financial Aid FAQs

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Rivier University with our title IV code (002586) on the form. The FAFSA is available at high schools and colleges or at For your convenience, Rivier University also offers an electronic financial aid office, with forms and helpful information, available at

Q: When should I apply for aid?

The financial aid filing cycle begins each January 1st to apply for aid for the following fall, spring and then summer of the next year. Students are encouraged to file the FAFSA form as soon as possible after January 1 each year for that following fall, spring and summer. If you are beginning your Rivier classes between January and June, you will need to file two FAFSA forms in that first year, one for the current year (to cover spring and summer) and one for the next year (fall, spring, then summer). The FAFSA web site will guide you through this process.

Example: Marie has been admitted to Rivier and is beginning her first course in January of 2013 (spring ‘13).

She will file a 2012-13 FAFSA form for the academic period for spring 2013 and summer 2013, and she will also file a 2013-14 FAFSA form for the period from fall 2013 through summer 2014. In following years, she will file one form as soon as possible after January 1 when the federal form becomes available for the following cycle.

Another way to think about this is: The 12-13 FAFSA is used for fall 2012, spring 2013, and summer 2013 academic periods. The 13-14 FAFSA can be filed beginning January 1, 2013 (through June 30, 2014) and that financial aid would be used for fall 2013, spring 2014 and summer 2014.

Q: What happens after I file the FAFSA?

Within a few of days after filing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) at the email address you provided to the Department of Education. You will be asked to review the information in the SAR for accuracy and to make any corrections necessary with the federal processor. The report shows the Expected Family Contribution, an important figure based on the federal formula that helps us determine your financial need. The Office of Financial Aid at Rivier University receives an Institutional Student Aid Record electronically from the federal government if you have listed Rivier on the form when you completed it.

Q: What are the most important factors in determining the Expected Family Contribution?

The Expected Family Contribution is based on a number of factors including family size, income, assets, and number of family members in college.

Q: How do I accept my award?

To accept your financial aid award, you can sign and return one of the copies that was sent to you in the mail or log into your Net Partner account with the information provided in the letter and accept the aid online. For more information about Net Partner, please visit the Financial Aid web page called Accessing Your Financial Aid Online.

Request-InfoApply-NowStudent-VeteransPro-BookstoreCampus Map