Criminal Justice Programs
Read program requirements and course descriptions in the undergraduate catalog:Visit the Department of History, Law & Political Science online.
B.S. Criminal Justice
Whether you dream of working in law enforcement, national security, forensics, private security, juvenile justice, Rivier's criminal justice program can help make your dream a reality. Small classes with personal attention from faculty help you examine the judicial system, learn how to gather and interpret forensic data and explore social welfare issues.
In addition to the knowledge essential for your career, you'll develop other qualities employers find attractive. You'll learn to communicate effectively, think critically, make ethical decisions and solve problems creatively.
Facilities and resources
The criminal justice program brings together faculty from a variety of disciplines, including biology, psychology, sociology, political science, and law. Rivier's computer labs and electronic databases allow students to conduct the research and data collection crucial to their major.
The criminal justice program takes students beyond the classroom. You'll visit courtrooms, police stations and other places where you can apply classroom theories to real-life situations. You'll also hear from guest speakers currently practicing in the field.
Jobs and internships
Criminal justice graduates are in demand for a variety of careers, including paralegal assistants, state and federal law enforcement, forensic science, national security, youth service advocates and more.
Rivier's program lets you participate in internships before your senior year. You'll have a variety of opportunities to build your skills, your résumé and your professional network. Here are just a few examples of what students have done at recent criminal justice internships:
• Conducted security checks for the Transportation Security Administration
• Served as a reserve patrol officer with the Ogunquit, Maine Police Department
• Provided courtroom and prisoner security as a bailiff for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
• Developed a crime database for the Massachusetts State Police
• Processed fingerprints and assisted in prosecuting criminal cases at District and Superior courts with the Sandown, NH Police Department
• Aided in investigations, interviews, surveillance and record-keeping with a private investigation firm