Rivier University students have the unique opportunity to work with both their faculty and academic advisors to create a comprehensive and individualized education plan when they go to register for courses each semester.
Rivier follows a priority registration model in which students are given the opportunity to register based on their class status (which is determined according to total credits earned)- seniors are able to register within the first week, juniors the second, sophomores the third and freshmen the fourth.
The registration process for fall and spring semesters is as follows:
1. Two weeks prior to the registration period, students will receive a detailed e-mail from the advising office listing the dates that priority registration will take place.
2. With the exception of business and nursing majors, students will first meet with their faculty advisor to select major courses and discuss progression in the major and to answer any other questions related to program requirements or options such as internships, concentration areas, and directed study opportunities. Click here for a current list of faculty advisors (FA1)
3. After the faculty advisor has reviewed and approved major courses, the student then makes an appointment to meet with their academic advisor by contacting the Academic Advising Office at 897-8227. Appointment times/dates are based on the student’s class status.
4. The academic advisor then meets with each advisee in a 20-30 minute advising session to:
- register for major and core classes
- review academic performance and education plan
- identify existing or potential academic or personal performance issues and recommend or refer student to campus resources and services when needed
5. If after meeting with their academic advisor a student would like to make a change to their schedule, the student can e-mail their academic advisor anytime during or after the priority registration period to make changes or adjustments to their schedule. Students may also schedule a follow-up advising appointment if needed after the priority registration period has ended.