Department of Modern Languages
Meet Dr. Christine Guedri Giacalone
Assistant Professor, Spanish
Coordinator of Modern Languages
Ph.D., University of Texas, Austin
M.A., Middlebury College
B.A., Mary Washington College
(603) 897-8489 Specialties
- Critical Cultural Awareness
- Language Contact
- Language Variation and Preservation
Dr. Giacalone's career highlights include an appointment teaching language and linguistics from the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York; being named a Rotary International Teaching Fellow in Amman, Jordan; and presentations at Columbia University, Stanford University, and University of Pennsylvania.
- Giacalone,Christine and Zackary Miller. “Some effects of cross-linguistic influence of Spanish as L2 on the perception and production of cognates in Portuguese as L3”. V 47. Vida Hispánica. 2013.
- The Lebanese-Brazilian Checkpoint: Reconstruction of Identity post 2006 in Pilgrimage in the Age of Globalisation: Constructions of the Sacred and Secular in Late Modernity ed. Nelia Hyndman Rizik. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2012.
- Giacalone, Christine, Joshua Enslen and Rebecca Jones-Kellogg. “The Portuguese Program at the United States Military Academy: Sixty-five years of tradition and transformation.159-189.” In José Marcelo Freitas de Luna (ed.), Jundiaí: Paco Editorial. 2011.
- “Variation in Loanword Adaptations in the Lebanese-Brazilian Community of Sao Paulo, Brazil” Proceedings from the VII Annual UCLA Department of Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Conference, Los Angeles, Berkeley Electronic Press. 2011.
- “O Contato entre o Português e o Árabe no Líbano” Revista Chams. Ed. 214, p. 33-34. November 2010.
- “A manutenção da língua árabe em comunidades libanesas no Brasil”. Revista Chams. Ed 209, p. 49-50. June 2010.
- Cristófaro-Silva, Thaïs; Almeida, Leonardo; Guedri, Christine. Perda de marca de plural no português brasileiro: contribuições da fonologia. In: Revista de Estudos da Linguagem, v. 15, n. 2, p. 207-228, Belo Horizonte, 2007.
- Beginning Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Advanced Spanish Grammar
- Spanish for the Health Professions
- History of the Spanish Language
- Spanish Film and Music
- Hispanic Minorities in the United States
- Applied Linguistics