Department of Education
Meet Dr. Cheryl Maykel
Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of Connecticut
M.A., Educational Psychology, University of Connecticut
B.S., Psychology, Worcester State College
(603) 897-8774Specialties/Research Interests
- Childhood obesity, physical activity
- Mindfulness, mind-body health
- Critical evaluation of online information
Dr. Maykel is a nationally certified school psychologist. She earned her master's and doctoral degrees through the school psychology program at the University of Connecticut, where she was awarded a pre-doctoral and a doctoral dissertation fellowship. Before joining the Education Department at Rivier, she taught at four Connecticut universities. Dr. Maykel has authored numerous publications and has presented her work at local, national, and international conferences. Her current research interests are mainly in the areas of mind-body health and wellness.
- ED534 Assessment of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders
- ED614 Clinical Counseling Theories
- ED820 Developmental Psychology
- ED505 Advanced Psychology of Human Development
- ED613 Intervention & Consultation
- Maykel. C., Bray, M.A., Gelbar, N., Caterino, L., Avitia, M., Sassu, K., & Root, M. (2016). Psychologically-based therapies to improve lung functioning in students with asthma. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology. doi: 10.1080/21683603.2016.1130577
- Bray, M.A. & Maykel, C. (2016). Mind-body health in the school environment. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, 4(1), 3-4. doi: 10.1080/21683603.2016.1130528
- Root, M., Bray, M.A., Maykel, C., Cross, K., Shankar, N. & Theodore, L. (2016). Students with cancer: Presenting issues and effective solutions. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology. doi:10.1080/21683603.2016.1130549
- Foote, C., Bray, M. A., Kehle, T. J., Van Heest, J., Byer-Alcorace, G., Maykel, C., & DeBiase, E. (2016). Interdependent group contingency to promote physical activity in children. Canadian Journal of School Psychology.
- Leu, D.J., & Maykel, C. (2016). Thinking in new ways and in new times about reading: A response to “Beyond the Common Core”. Literacy Research and Instruction, 55(2), 122-127. doi: 10.1080/19388071.2016.1135388
- Maykel, C., Sassu, K., Bray, M., & Kehle, T. (2016). Single-subject, multiple-baseline design: Using mindfulness interventions with co-occurring asthma and anxiety. SAGE Research Methods Cases. London, United Kingdom: SAGE Publications, Ltd. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/978144627305015595380
- Root, M., Bray, M., Maykel, C., & Kehle, T. (2016). Mental health behavior and personalized vaccine treatments for ovarian cancer prevention: Multiple single-subject studies. SAGE Research Methods Cases. London, United Kingdom: SAGE Publications, Ltd. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/978144627305015598141
- Reardon, K., Deans, T. & Maykel, C. (2016). Finding a room of their own: Programming time and space for grad student writing at the UConn Writing Center. Writing Lab Newsletter, 40(5-6), 10-17.
- Coiro, J., Coscarelli, C., Maykel, C., & Forzani, E. (2015). Investigating criteria seventh graders use to evaluate the quality of online information. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 59(3), 287-297. doi: 10.1002/jaal.448
- Maykel, C., Bray, M.A. & Kehle, T. J. (2015). Impulse control. In Scarlett, G. (Ed.). Classroom Management: An A-to-Z Guide (pp. 401-403). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.