Our child-friendly classrooms are arranged with distinct interest areas around the room. These areas allow the children to make clear choices as they proceed through the day. Children choose from a wide variety of toys, books, and other materials that teachers change frequently to keep children stimulated. Everything in the classroom has a specific storage "home" so that children can find things and help with clean-up. Each classroom has an atmosphere of security, independence, and pleasure.
The daily schedule of every classroom has certain guidelines and predictability, helping the children feel secure and independent. Teachers plan a variety of small group, large group, and teacher-directed activities.
An important component of a schedule is flexibility. Children's inquiries, interests, and "teachable moments" shape each day.
Special features at the LECC include…
- Eight spacious classrooms designed by a specialist in the field of early childhood education.
- Observation rooms that allow parents, students and professionals to observe, by sight and sound, each of our classrooms unobtrusively.
- The Rotunda, a large multipurpose room, for community-based activity and learning.
- The teacher-designed George Reynik Memorial Playground, which provides toddlers and preschoolers equipment for enhancing the development of motor skills.
- Adjacent to the playground, the Enchanted Forest functions as an outdoor classroom. This space includes climbing walls and logs; bird houses and feeders; musical boards; and vegetable and butterfly gardens.
- Access to Rivier University grounds and departments: sports fields, gymnasium, Quad, library, resource center, cafeteria, book store, and more.
- A large function room for classroom or center events. UV and computer equipment is available to enhance the children’s learning experiences during lessons that may include such things as Google Earth.
- A full-time registered nurse provides on-site health assessment and care for children. Our nurse consults with families and also develops health and safety programs for the children.