History

Rivier University is named in honor of Blessed Anne Marie Rivier, Foundress of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary. Established in 1933 in Hudson, New Hampshire, Rivier College moved in 1941 to the present campus site in Nashua and officially became Rivier University on July 1, 2012. The University was incorporated in 1935 under the laws of the State of New Hampshire, and through two separate charters was invested with the power to confer both graduate and undergraduate degrees.

Rivier is a fully accredited institution enrolling approximately 2,200 students in two schools: the School of Undergraduate Studies (which includes an Evening Division) and the School of Graduate Studies. For the purpose of institutional cooperation, Rivier University is a member of the New Hampshire College and University Council, a consortium of institutions of higher learning; students of member institutions are permitted to register for transfer credit at any of the member institutions except Dartmouth College.

Malloy Hall
In 1995, in anticipation of the 1996 bicentennial of the founding of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary, the University formally recommitted to Anne Marie Rivier's mission of teaching and serving the poor by making social justice and service to others a special focus of its work.

As the oldest institution of higher learning in Nashua, Rivier is recognized for the development of programs which serve the needs of both traditional and nontraditional age individuals and remains faithful to its original mission: the education of the whole person.

 

about_riv.jpg
View Photo GalleryView Video GalleryPresidents ReportRivier Art Gallery