At City Year’s 21 locations across the United States, teams of diverse young people called corps members serve full-time in schools for 10 months working to improve student attendance, behavior and course performance in English and math.
As tutors, mentors and role models, corps members are uniquely able to help students and schools succeed through:
• Academic Support: Provide one-on-one or small group tutoring before, during and after school
• Attendance and Positive Behavior Encouragement: Lead energetic morning greetings, make attendance and positive phone calls home and lead mentor groups
• Community and School Improvements: Organize and lead activities, celebrations and projects to improve the community and school environment which includes performing physical service such as: painting murals, planting community gardens, renovating schools and refurbishing community centers
One of the important ways corps members share their belief in service and their commitment to helping children is by leading programs that teach elementary, middle school and high school students about how to be active citizens in their communities and make a difference.
A year of service is challenging, but also rewarding and fulfilling. While there is no typical corps member background, all corps members must have the ability to work on a team, be a leader, develop leadership skills and be ready to commit 10 months to full-time service.
Our corps members must also meet certain eligibility requirements. To participate, you must:
• Have a college degree or have attended some college, have a high school diploma or GED
• Be able to dedicate 10 months to full-time service
• Be between the ages of 17 and 24
• Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident alien
• Have served no more than 3 terms in another AmeriCorps, NCCC or VISTA program
• Agree to a background or security check
• Previous experiences with service, tutoring, mentoring and leadership help strengthen candidacy.
For more information on what you will do as a corps member, check out Join the Corps.